5.08.2012

Thoughts on Deployment

Before Mike got back from deployment I had intended to blog about my thoughts and experiences. It was important to me to document the year and share pictures to prove to myself that the year was not just "lost". Once he came home it seemed like the year was a blur because I could so easily remember the year before when he was home and what we had done that past fall. In some ways it almost felt like he was never gone.

What a really strange feeling. This made me want to do this post even more to really pay tribute to those experiences that filled the year of deployment and recognize those people that were around and helped me get through. As one can expect after a 1 yr + of separation, time past and reconnecting and spending time together was the priority and I didn't make the time to think through the deployment and post those pictures. 

Now I find myself with time and before I'm back to being a working lady I want to take that time. From October 2010 to October 2011, my year in pictures:
1. Oct. 8, 2010 - the day Mike left for Texas and official start of deployment
2. Oct. 8, 2010  - goodbye kiss. talk about heartbreaking. I can put myself there so quickly and it's just a sad, lonely, heartbreaking feeling.
3. Oct. 16, 2010 - bridal shower for Jenna, spouse of Mike's best friend Drew
4. Oct. 30, 2010 - with the in laws at Drew and Jenna's wedding. I remember this being very hard for a number of reasons. It was the first wedding since our own and the first "couple" type event I had to go to solo, it was the wedding of Mike's best friend and Mike wasn't there to celebrate, and it was so close to when Mike had left! Felt weird not to be together.
5. Nov. 27, 2010 - after Thanksgiving break, back at the airport for another goodbye. Walking back to the car alone that afternoon was an experience.
6. Dec. 4, 2010 - my brother (left) played at local bar and rocked it! Proud sister moment!
7. Dec. 22, 2010 - reunion for Christmas break
8. Dec. 26, 2010 - last day of Christmas break, before heading to the airport. The last time I saw him before he actually went to Iraq. This was a scary goodbye.
February was a busy month! It was so wonderful to get to see roommates and sorority sisters from undergrad!

9. Feb. 11, 2011 - UE roommate reunion in Chicago
10. Feb. 11, 2011 - fun at the bean in Chicago with "the roomies"
11. Feb. 14, 2011 - Valentine's card from Mike - Mike was really great about sending flowers, cards and gifts during the deployment. Such a sweet guy!
12. Feb. 18, 2011 - Shanelle's bachelorette party in Florida
13. Feb. 26, 2011 - painting at Cheers to Art with Enny
14. March 5, 2011 - make your own sushi cooking class with my army wife friend Melissa - a gift from our husbands (they deployed together)
15. March 17, 2011 - St Patrick's day with Enny! 
16. March 28, 2011 - celebrating Enny's bday @ Steak & Shake
17. April 9, 2011 - Shanelle's wedding - weddings are hard when your loved one is far, far away (and in danger!). I remember getting emotional during the dancing part of the wedding and missing my favorite dancing partner. 
18. April 23, 2011 - Dying Easter eggs with Enny and Mevy
19. April 23, 2011 - Easter Egg fun! Spent the night and enjoyed fun girl time with Enny and Mevy
20. May 14, 2011 - Girls trip to Chicago! Mom and I met up with Annette and her mom! A perfect distraction around Mike and my 1st wedding anniversary!
21. May 30, 2011 - Iraq Pack parade on Memorial Day
22. May 30, 2011 - big beers with father in law after the parade
23. June 4, 2011 - Andrea's (sorority sister) wedding - fun to see sisters that I hadn't seen since graduation!
24. June 11, 2011 - In the stands with Mevy and Enny at my brother's graduation
25. July 2, 2011 - with Melissa @ Red, White, & Bluegrass- fundraiser to support Iraq Pack. So thankful that we became close friends! A huge blessing!
26. July 22, 2011 - during Mike's R&R - family dinner out @ Sammy's
27. July 25, 2011 - back at the airport at end of R&R - last goodbye before he came home for good!
28. Aug. 18, 2011 - Cheers to Art with mom!
29. Sept. 16, 2011 - Nancy's wedding weekend - thanks to lively groomsmen and friends I danced the night away and didn't feel so lonely! I also shared a hotel room with Shanelle and her husband. It was great spending that time with them!
30. Sept. 17, 2011 - Phi Mus during wedding BBQ
31. Oct. 9, 2011 - he's home! for good!!
32. Oct. 9, 2011 - so happy to be together again!!

Wow! I really did a lot! And there are so many other things that didn't get documented by photo. Many dinners with family, sushi dates with Melissa, bonding with the brother and sister in law - basically a year of good times spent with family and friends. Can you believe he has been home 7 months? I can't! That's amazing to me.

While the majority of our first year of marriage was apart, that year of marriage is and will always be our first year of marriage. We had different experiences than typical couples and had the opportunity to work on aspects of ourselves and our relationship that would not have presented themselves this early on had it not been for the deployment. So many opportunities to learn and grow.

Would I do it over again? That's not a reasonable question! Neither of us wanted this to happen, and if another deployment was avoidable we both would be very happy! I would certainly marry Mike all over again - he's completely worth going through mess so that we can be together. I pray that we do not have to experience another deployment during the remainder of his commitment to the Army, but only time will tell. What I do know is that I can, and we can survive.

 Thank you for your support.

1 comment:

  1. I'm always inspired by military spouses who make it through deployments. I don't know how I'd handle that! Glad to hear that your husband made it back safely and you don't have to fly solo at weddings now! :)

    ReplyDelete